Skip to main content

The Laburnum Top

                                   -Ted Hughes

 The Laburnum top is silent, quite still
 In the afternoon yellow September sunlight, 
 A few leaves yellowing , all its seeds fallen. 
 
 Till the goldfinch comes,  with a twitching chirrup
 A suddenness, a starlement, at a branch end.
 Then sleek as a lizard, and alert, and abrupt, 
 She enters the thickness, and a machine starts up
 Of chitterlings, and a tremor of wings, and trillings-
 The whole tree trembles and thrills. 
 It is the engine of her family. 

 She stokes it full, then flirts out to a branch-end
 Showing her barred face identity mask
 Then with eerie delicate whistle-chirrup whisperings
 She launches away, towards the infinite 

 And the laburnum subsides to empty. 


Comments

neha katiyar said…
Well written
Please visit my blog
https://kidscricketcoaching.blogspot.com/2020/06/hifriends-hope-we-are-doing-practice-of.html

Popular posts from this blog

A Moonbeam Comes

  Deep in the night;    When all is still,    A moonbeam climbs the window-sill.   Over your bed;    It softly flies,    To see if sleep has closed your eyes.      A pinch of gold;    Some fairy land,    Is clasped within that moonbeam's hand.    And if by chance;    Your are not asleep,    It comes tip-toe on gentle feet.    To touch your eyes;   With golden beam,    And take you to the land of dreams . 

A Happy Child

Enjoy this poem      My house is red - a little house     A happy child am I .     I laugh and play the whole day long.      I hardly ever cry.            I have a tree, a green, green tree,      To shade me from the sun;      And under it I often sit,      When all my play is done.