Skip to main content

Keeping Quiet

                                    -Pablo Neruda 
  Now we will count to twelve 
  and we will all keep still. 

  For once on the face of the Earth 
  let's not speak in any language, 
  let's stop for one second, 
  and not move our arms so much. 
  It would be an exotic moment 
  Without rush, without engine, 
  We would all be strangeness. 

  Fisherman in the cold sea
  would not harm whales 
  and the man gathering salt 
  would look at his hurt hands. 

  Those who prepare green wars, 
  wars with gas,  wars with fire, 
  victory with no survivors, 
  would put on clean clothes 
  and walk about with their 
  brothers
  in the shade,  doing nothing.

  What I want should not be confused 
  with total inactivity. 
  Life is what it is about; 
  I want no truck with death. 
  If we were not so single -minded 
  about keeping our lives moving,
  and for once could do nothing, 
  perhaps a huge silence 
  might interrupt this sadness 
  of never understanding ourselves 
  and of threatening ourselves with 
  death. 

  Perhaps the Earth can teach us 
  as when everything seems dead 
  and later proves to be alive. 

  Now I'll  count up to twelve 
  and you keep quiet and I will go. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never give up

     Never give up in life, Man!     Never give up in life.     Life is the greatest gift    No one here is misfit.     We need to know our goal      And nicely play our role.     Why to fear with dark     When there are millions stars.               Why to sink in despair,       when hope resides everywhere .      what a path without a turn,        what a flower without a thorn.        What a joy without sadness.        What a goal without weariness.         Everything is for a reason,         like we need every season.         Face the hurdles with a smile.          Never give up in this life. 

My Mother at Sixty-six

                                      Kamala Dad    Driving from my parents's home to Cochin    last Friday morning, I saw my mother,   beside me,      doze, open mouthed, her face ashen like    that    of a corpse and realised with pain    that she thought away, and looked but soon   put that thought away, and looked out at    young    trees sprinting, the merry children spilling    out of their homes, but after the airport's   security check, standing a few yards away,   I looked again at her, was, pale    as a late winter's moon and felt that old    familiar ache, my childhood's fear,   but all  I said was, see you soon,    Amma,   all I did was smile and smile and smile......