Skip to main content

Father to Son

                                  Elizabeth Jennings

I do not understand this child
Though we have lived together now
In the same house for years. I know
Nothing of him, so try to build
Up a relationship from how 
He was when small. 

Yet have I liked
The seed I spent or sown or it where
The land is his and none of mine? 
We speak like strangers, there's no sign 
Of understanding in the air. 
This child is built to my design 
Yet what he loves I cannot share. 

             



Silence surrounds us. I would have 
Him prodigal, returning to
His father's house, the home he knew, 
Rather than see him make and move
His world. I would forgive him too, 
Shaping from sorrow a new love. 

Father and son, we both must live 
On the same globe and the same land, 
He speaks: I cannot understand 
Myself, why anger grows from grief. 
We each put out an empty hand, 
Longing for something to forgive. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never give up

     Never give up in life, Man!     Never give up in life.     Life is the greatest gift    No one here is misfit.     We need to know our goal      And nicely play our role.     Why to fear with dark     When there are millions stars.               Why to sink in despair,       when hope resides everywhere .      what a path without a turn,        what a flower without a thorn.        What a joy without sadness.        What a goal without weariness.         Everything is for a reason,         like we need every season.         Face the hurdles with a smile.          Never give up in this life. 

My Mother at Sixty-six

                                      Kamala Dad    Driving from my parents's home to Cochin    last Friday morning, I saw my mother,   beside me,      doze, open mouthed, her face ashen like    that    of a corpse and realised with pain    that she thought away, and looked but soon   put that thought away, and looked out at    young    trees sprinting, the merry children spilling    out of their homes, but after the airport's   security check, standing a few yards away,   I looked again at her, was, pale    as a late winter's moon and felt that old    familiar ache, my childhood's fear,   but all  I said was, see you soon,    Amma,   all I did was smile and smile and smile...... 

Keeping Quiet

                                    -Pablo Neruda    Now we will count to twelve    and we will all keep still.    For once on the face of the Earth    let's not speak in any language,    let's stop for one second,    and not move our arms so much.    It would be an exotic moment    Without rush, without engine,    We would all be strangeness.    Fisherman in the cold sea   would not harm whales    and the man gathering salt    would look at his hurt hands.    Those who prepare green wars,    wars with gas,  wars with fire,    victory with no survivors,    would put on clean clothes    and walk about with their    brothers   in the shade,  doing nothing.   What I want should not be confused  ...