Skip to main content

Father to Son

                                  Elizabeth Jennings

I do not understand this child
Though we have lived together now
In the same house for years. I know
Nothing of him, so try to build
Up a relationship from how 
He was when small. 

Yet have I liked
The seed I spent or sown or it where
The land is his and none of mine? 
We speak like strangers, there's no sign 
Of understanding in the air. 
This child is built to my design 
Yet what he loves I cannot share. 

             



Silence surrounds us. I would have 
Him prodigal, returning to
His father's house, the home he knew, 
Rather than see him make and move
His world. I would forgive him too, 
Shaping from sorrow a new love. 

Father and son, we both must live 
On the same globe and the same land, 
He speaks: I cannot understand 
Myself, why anger grows from grief. 
We each put out an empty hand, 
Longing for something to forgive. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Moonbeam Comes

  Deep in the night;    When all is still,    A moonbeam climbs the window-sill.   Over your bed;    It softly flies,    To see if sleep has closed your eyes.      A pinch of gold;    Some fairy land,    Is clasped within that moonbeam's hand.    And if by chance;    Your are not asleep,    It comes tip-toe on gentle feet.    To touch your eyes;   With golden beam,    And take you to the land of dreams . 

A Happy Child

Enjoy this poem      My house is red - a little house     A happy child am I .     I laugh and play the whole day long.      I hardly ever cry.            I have a tree, a green, green tree,      To shade me from the sun;      And under it I often sit,      When all my play is done. 

The Laburnum Top

                                   -Ted Hughes  The Laburnum top is silent, quite still  In the afternoon yellow September sunlight,   A few leaves yellowing , all its seeds fallen.       https://www.pexels.com/search/the%20labu     rnum%20tree/  Till the goldfinch comes,  with a twitching chirrup  A suddenness, a starlement, at a branch end.  Then sleek as a lizard, and alert, and abrupt,   She enters the thickness, and a machine starts up  Of chitterlings, and a tremor of wings, and trillings-  The whole tree trembles and thrills.   It is the engine of her family.   She stokes it full, then flirts out to a branch-end  Showing her barred face identity mask  Then with eerie delicate whistle-chirrup whisperings  She launches away, towards the infinite   And the laburnum subsides to empty.